Hassan Shapourian Winner of Biruni 2019 Graduate Student Research Award
For Hassan’s active publication list please refer to here
The University of Chicago, IL
Ph.D. Candidate in Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics (Expected 2019).
Princeton University, NJ
M.Sc. in Electrical Engineering (2013).
Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran
B.Sc. in Double-major Program in Electrical Engineering and Physics (2010).
The University of Chicago, Kadanoff Center for Theoretical Physics
Graduate Researcher focused on topological phases and entanglement (2017-Present).
University of California, Santa Barbara, Kavli Institute of Theoretical Physics
Graduate Fellow worked on quantum materials such as graphene (2018).
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Institute of Condensed Matter Theory
Graduate Researcher worked on topological insulators and superconductors (2013-17).
Grants and Awards:
- Harvard-MIT joint postdoctoral fellowship, 2019-2022
- Stanford Institute for Theoretical Physics postdoctoral fellowship.
- Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics and Microsoft Station Q joint postdoctoral fellowship, UC Santa Barbara.
- William R. Harper Dissertation Fellowship, U. Chicago, 2018.
- Graduate Fellowship, Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics, UC Santa Barbara, 2018.
- John Bardeen Award, U of I at Urbana-Champaign, 2017.
- Young Investigator Award (ACRI Fellowship), Galileo Galilei Institute, Italy, 2018.
- Graduate Council Travel Fund Award, U. Chicago, 2018.
- Excellent Teaching Assistant Award, U of I at Urbana-Champaign, 2013, 2015.
- University Travel Grant Award, U of I at Urbana-Champaign, 2016.
- Princeton University Graduate Fellowship, 2010.
- Highest honor in Electrical Engineering and Physics class of 2010, Sharif University, 2010.
- Four-year undergraduate scholarship from National Elite Foundation, Iran, 2006-10.
- Silver Medalist (IPhO 2006), 37th International Physics Olympiad, Singapore, 2006.
- Gold Medalist, 18th National Physics Olympiad, Iran, 2005.
- H. Shapourian, P. Ruggiero, S. Ryu, and P. Calabrese, Negativity spectrum of free fermions and spin structures, in preparation.
- M. Salehi, H. Shapourian, I.T. Rosen, J. Moon, D. Goldhaber-Gordon, and S. Oh, Unconventional quantum-Hall to insulator transition on the surface of topological insulator films, submitted.
- K. Hejazi, C. Liu, H. Shapourian, X. Chen, and L. Balents, Multiple topological transitions in twisted bilayer graphene near the first magic angle, Phys. Rev. B 99, 035111 (2019), available at arXiv:1808.01568.
- H. Shapourian and S. Ryu, Finite-temperature entanglement negativity of Fermi surface, arXiv: 1807.09808.
- H. Shapourian and S. Ryu, Entanglement negativity of fermions: monotonicity, separability criterion and classification of few-mode states, arXiv:1804.08637.
- H. Shapourian, Y. Wang, and S. Ryu, Topological crystalline superconductivity and secondorder topological superconductivity in nodal-loop materials, Phys. Rev. B 97, 094508 (2018), available at arXiv:1711.02122.
- K. Shiozaki, H. Shapourian (Equal contribution), K. Gomi, and S. Ryu, Many-body topological invariants for fermionic short-range entangled topological phases protected by antiunitary symmetries, Phys. Rev. B 98, 035151 (2018), available at arXiv:1710.01886.
- H. Shapourian, K. Shiozaki, and S. Ryu, Partial time-reversal transformation and entanglement negativity in fermionic systems, Phys. Rev. B 95, 165101 (2017), available at arXiv:1611.07536.
-  K. Shiozaki, H. Shapourian, and S. Ryu, Many-body topological invariants in fermionic symmetry protected topological phases: Cases of point group symmetries, Phys. Rev. B 95, 205139 (2017), available at arXiv:1609.05970.
- H. Shapourian, K. Shiozaki, and S. Ryu, Many-body topological invariants for fermionic symmetry-protected topological phases, Phys. Rev. Lett. 118, 216402 (2017), available at arXiv:1607.03896.
- M. Salehi, H. Shapourian (Equal contribution), N. Koirala, M. Brahlek, J. Moon, and S. Oh. Finite-size driven topological phase transition in (Bi1-xInx)2Se3 thin films, Nano Lett. 2016, 16 (9), pp 5528-5532 available at arXiv:1608.06307.
- H. Shapourian, and T. L. Hughes. Phase diagrams of disorderedWeyl semimetals, Phys. Rev. B 93, 075108 (2016), available at arXiv:1509.02933.
- H. Shapourian. Dynamical renormalization-group approach to the spin-boson model, Phys. Rev. A 93, 032119 (2016), available at arXiv:1607.03920.
- H. Shapourian, and D. Sadri, Fock space localization of polaritons in the Jaynes-Cummings dimer model, Phys. Rev. A 93, 013845 (2016), available at arXiv:1510.02118.
- H. Shapourian and B. K. Clark. Variational identification of a fractional Chern insulator in an extended Bose-Hubbard model, Phys. Rev. B 93, 035125 (2016), available at arXiv:1412.5597.
- H. Shapourian, T. L. Hughes, and S. Ryu, Viscoelastic response of topological tight-binding models in two and three dimensions, Phys. Rev. B 92, 165131 (2015), available at arXiv:1505.03868.
- H. Shapourian, Quench dynamics of the spin-boson model beyond the Born-Markov approximation, Master’s Thesis, Princeton University (2013).
- D. Kamburov, H. Shapourian (Equal contribution), M. Shayegen, L. N. Pfeiffer, K.W.West, K. W. Baldwin, and R. Winkler, Ballistic transport of (001) GaAs two-dimensional holes through a strain-induced lateral superlattice, Phys. Rev. B 85, 121305(R) (2012), available at arXiv:1208.0649